Logbook – 1919 Transcontinental Military Convoy

The historic motor convoy is meticulously chronicled in the "Daily Log of the First Transcontinental Motor Convoy," by Elwell Jackson, offering a vivid snapshot into the early days of motorized transport and the formidable challenges it faced. Spanning from July 7th to September 6th, this logbook is a record of a remarkable journey and a testament to human resilience, engineering ingenuity, and the dawn of a new era in transportation and military logistics.

This black and white photo from the 1919 military convoy depicts a truck derailment. A freight car lies toppled beside the tracks on a small bridge as military personnel, watch or approach the scene. A uniformed figure moves towards the wreckage, hinting at the urgency of the moment. The barren landscape in Utah adds to the photograph's dramatic effect.

Utah 1919 - Transcontinental Motor Convoy Eisenhower Library - After Ike documentary

Treacherous Road Conditions: The logbook reveals a tale of perseverance against treacherous road conditions, from unsafe bridges to muddy paths, quicksand, and dusty trails. The convoy's progress was frequently hindered by mechanical failures—a stark reminder of the era's nascent automotive technology. Yet, these obstacles were met with remarkable resourcefulness as engineers and personnel continuously adapted, repairing and reinforcing infrastructure, and navigating uncharted terrains.

Community Engagement: The journey illuminates the importance of community engagement during this era. Towns and cities along the route welcomed the convoy with open arms, providing logistical support and a glimpse into the public's fascination and support for this pioneering endeavor.

This black and white photo captures a line of canvas-covered military trucks of the transcontinental military convoy accompanied by motorcyclists, against a backdrop of grand classical buildings, with a mix of civilians and soldiers.

Convoy in review before Mayor James Rolph, Jr.,city officials, and officers of the Western Department of the United States Army.

Pivotal Moment in American History: The convoy's expedition across the United States was not merely a military operation but a pivotal moment in American history. It underscored the potential of motor vehicles in long-distance travel and logistics, foreshadowing the massive infrastructural developments that would soon follow.

As “After Ike” delves into the details of this remarkable journey, the documentary explores a pivotal chapter in transportation history. The film celebrates the enduring spirit of innovation and exploration that characterized early 20th-century America, bringing to life the challenges, triumphs, and historical significance of the 1919 military convoy's transcontinental journey.


"Daily Log of the First Transcontinental Motor Convoy, Washington, DC to San Francisco, Cal., July 7th to Sept. 6th, 1919" [U.S. Army, Transport Corps, Transcontinental Convoy: Records, 1919, Box 1, Daily log of the first transcontinental motor convoy (typewritten copy); NAID #12166042]


Original, unedited text


Washington, D.C. to San Francisco, Cal. July 7th to Sept. 6, 1919.

July 7. Departed Camp Meigs, 8:30 A.M. Dedicated Zero Milestone at The Ellipse, Potomac Park, 10 A.M. Departed Washington 11:15 A.M. Stopped for lunch at Rockville, Md. 12:30 P.M. Trailmobile Kitchen broke coupling, 2:50 P.M. Fan Belt broke on White Observation Car. Militor towed Class B, with broken magneto coupling, one mile into camp at Frederick (Fair Grounds). Fair and warm. Roads excellent. Made 46 miles in 7¼ hours. Arrived Frederick, Md., 6:30 P.M.

July 8. Departed Frederick, 7 A.M. Fan adjustment let go on Class B #414674, 8:30  A.M. Unsafe covered wooden bridge, one mile south of Emmitsburg reached at 9 A.M. Two hours delay due to unsafe and covered bridges, too low for shop trucks, necessitating detours and fording. Engineers rendered valuable work in bridge inspection. Class B #414668 stopped to take up brakes at Gettysburg, 2:05 P.M., where we also had lunch. Militor pulled Class B Machine Shop #414319 (10 tons) out of mud on bad detour near Emmitsburg, after two Macks in tandem had failed. Towed in another Class B with disabled magneto, 12 miles over rough detour. Militor made Piney Mountain on 3rd speed, with tow. Class B’s had to use 2nd speed. Mack trucks had difficulty making this grade on low gear. Packards also were lazy on hills. No trouble at all with F.W.D.’s. Mack Machine Shop #5 damaged top on low bridge between Emmitsburg and Chambersburg, Pa. No accidents to personnel. Fair and warm. Roads excellent, with exception of two detours on account of unsafe bridge and repairs to Lincoln Highway. Made 62 miles in 10½ hours. Arrived Chambersburg, Pa., 5:30 P.M.

July 9. Departed Chambersburg, 6:30 A.M. Mack Machine Shop #5 bent steering drag link by going into ditch at 7:45 A.M, Garford held up by broken accelerator spring and G.M.C. by sticky exhaust valve losing compression and ignition trouble at same time, 10 A.M. Lunch at noon, McConnellsburg. Class B delayed by bad valve tappet. Ignition trouble on Packard. Class B lost starting crank pin and had to be pushed or towed to start motor. Another Class B had valve and magneto trouble. Considerable magneto trouble on various types of trucks. Garford stalled by trouble with Zenith Carburetor, 5 P.M. - needle valve ground eccentric. Encountered heavy grades and altitudes exceeding 2200. No losses or damages. Excellent driving for untrained personnel. Enthusiastic reception in Bedford. Camp attendance 2000. Band concert and street dancing. Speeches by Gen. Drake, Colonels Ritchie & McClure and Dr. S. M. Johnson of the National Highways Association. Cool and partly cloudy. Roads very good. Made 57 miles in 11 1/3 hours. Arrived Bedford, Pa. 5:50 P.M.

July 10. Departed Bedford, 6:30 A.M. 18 miles out at Schellsburg, Class B down with loose valve tappet adjustment. Class B #414795 stalled account too rich mixture, 9:45 A.M. Zenith Carburetor, Type L 6, #16162, has light sheet brass butterfly, which should be a casting. Also brakes dragging and motor overheats. Class B #414673 stalled with magneto trouble (Bosch LT4 ED-18 Serial #2822315). Impulse coupling stuck, hole in distributor block too small and one carbon brush broken. Valve tappets also out of adjustment. Garford burns out engine bearings east of Stoyestown a/o petcock in crank case opening up, allowing oil to drain out. Dodge delivery #26991 ran into stretcher trailer on down grade and stove large hole in radiator. Militor towing disabled Garford and Dodge, also kitchen trailer. G.M.C. #39306 skidded off road and down mountain side damaged beyond hope of repair by Convoy. White has loose timing gear stud & clutch slips. Mack #51481 adjusts spark plugs. Cadillac #6075 develops bad transmission. Heavy rains all day. Roads very slippery. Made 63 miles in 16 ½ hours. Arrived Greensburg, Pa. 11:00 P.M.

July 11. Departed Greensburg, 7 A.M. After driving all night, Militor arrived Greensburg with 3 vehicles it has towed for 23 hrs, 7:15 A.M. Sergt l/c T. E. Wood, Jr. drove since noon yesterday without sleep. Garford, Dodge & kitchen trailer loaded to capacity, were towed 55 mi. over mountains. Class B has carburetor trouble 2 mi. west of Greensburg. At 8:45 A.M. Mack #3 stalled a/c broken clutch disc, 4 miles west of Greensburg. At 8:55 A.M. Class B a/c stalled fouled spark plugs, 6 mi. west of Greensburg. 9:05 a.m. G.M.C. ambulance #39303 stopped to adjust brakes. Foot brake adjustment on G.M.C. difficult to make and still more difficult to retain. White truck carrying office equipment underloaded. 5 mi. west of Jacksonville Class B got stuck crosswise of narrow portion of road and rest of Convoy made short detour, on which F.W.D. towed 2 Class B’s up short steep grade. Packard' broke fan belt. Two-wheeled kitchen trailer broke down and was shipped back to Camp Meigs. Lunch and reception in Pittsburgh. Fair and cool. Roads excellent. Made 48 miles in 10 hours. Arrived Sewickley, Pa. 5 p.m.

July 12. Departed Sewickley, 6:30 a.m. Militor still towing disabled Garford and at 9 a.m. it also picked up kitchen trailer and F.W.D. #415766 after main drive shaft had been twisted off at rear transmission bearing, by inexperienced driver throwing in reverse gear and dropping in clutch, with motor turning over at high speed on down grade, intending to use motor as a brake. At 10:45 A.M., 18 miles west of Sewickley White #39022 stalled account left rear radius rod bracket shifting when truck hit bad rut in road, resulting in front radius rod connections, loosening up and rod dropping. Rear radius rod bracket should be more rigidly supported. Left front wheel bearings broke up on Packard #36277, and were replaced. Convoy escorted into East Palestine by Reception Comm, in decorated car. factory whistles blown and church bells rung. City elaborately decorated. Dinner to officers at the Rubber Club. All tools furnished with trucks are of inferior quality and construction. Cool and cloudy. Roads chucky. Made 35 miles in 7 ½ hours. Arrived East Palestine, Ohio, 2 P.M.

July 13. East Palestine, Sunday rest period. At 9 A.M. a meeting of all train officers and observers was called by Col. McClure, at which experiences and problems of past week were discussed, including various questions concerning administration of personnel and operation of convoy. At 11:30 A.M. entire command was taken in private automobiles to homestead of Mr. H.S. Firestone, 6 miles west, at Columbiana. Here a fine chicken dinner was served to over 400 guests in a large assembly tent. Music was furnished by a band, several soloists and a male trio. Addresses were made by H. S. Firestone; Col. McClure; Mr. Kyes, of East Palestine. Col. ,W. H. Morgan, Pres. Morgan Engineering Company, Alliance O; Mayor Myers, Akron, O; Clark Firestone, New Lisbon, O. and Mr. Brooks. Dr S.M. Johnson also spoke. Dr. Howley showed his Bureau of Economics moving pictures at camp in the evening to large crowd of visitors. F.W.D. #415766 repaired during day. Personnel rested ready for good start in morning. Fair and warm.

July 14. Departed East Palestine, 6:30 A.M. Garford remained behind to finish repairs to connecting rod bearings. 3 miles out Class B #414678 stalled account trouble with Bosch Magneto (serial #B15667-2804-887) 17 miles out Dodge #26675 had puncture in Goodrich tire #82303389 and steering arm was loose on cross shaft 30 miles out F.W.D. #415766 stopped to adjust carburator account misfiring. At this point also Garford #39739 halted for water account radiator leak. At 9:30 A.M. Col. W. H. Morgan furnished refreshments to entire personnel at Alliance, O., while his company’s band played. Visited works of Morgan Engineering Co. and Col. Morgan’s home. Lunched in Nimishilla Park, Canton, O., at noon. Dodge delivery blew out cylinder head gasket. Another connecting rod bearing went bad in Garford #39739, and it limped into camp. Militor towed Class B Machine Shop #414319 30 miles into camp account broken valve tappet roller. Boxing and wrestling at camp in evening. Warm with light rains. Fine brick roads, except eight miles dirt. Made 83 miles in 9 hours. Arrived Wooster, Ohio, 3:30 P.M.

July 15. Departed Wooster, 6:45 A.M. Ordnance Observer returned to Canton as recorder of board appointed to investigate accident between civilian Ford truck and Class B, at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, 4 miles west of Canton. Returning, we caught up with Convoy about 8 miles west of Wooster, at 10:30 A.M. Militor towing Class B Machine Shop #414319 with broken valve tappet roller. About five miles west of Wooster detour was necessary account construction work on Lincoln Highway – soft dirt road was encountered, made muddy by last night's rain. At 11 A.M. rear wheels of Class B tanker went thru small wooden culvert bridge. Tanker recovered without damage by Riker #415011. Bridge repaired by Engineers. 9 miles west of Mansfield, Class B #414672 developed carburetor trouble and also starting crank pin was found to be sheared off. GMC Ambulance #39303 dropped front universal joint, burned out from lack of lubrication. Class B truck stops to reline brake bands. Warm and showers. Good roads, except 10 miles. Made 63 miles in 11- 3/4 hours. Arrived Bucyrus, Ohio, 6:30 P.M.

July 16. Departed Bucyrus, 6:30 A.M. All motor vehicles rolling under own power. 12 miles out white Staff Observation Car #111316 was stalled account stoppage in gasoline line. Four Class B trucks required adjustments to carburetors on account of poor grade of gasoline procured. Riker #415009 Sergt. l/c T.E. Wood, Jr., drove Militor from 8 A.M. July 15th to 2:50  A.M. July 16th, without sleep or food, no rations having been sent back to him. Some muddy sections of road were encountered, but did not materially interfere with progress of train. No maintenance difficulties of any consequence. Escorted thru Upper Sandusky and into Delphos by mayors and Reception Committee. Mayor of Delphos made address of welcome and presented the key of the city (water hydrant key) to the Exp. Commander. Every phase of the Convoy is functioning better as experience is accumulating. Fair and warm. Excellent roads generally. Made 70 miles in 9 hours. Arrived Delphos, Ohio, 3:30 P.M.

July 17. Departed Delphos, 6:30 A.M. Some difficulty in starting several motors on account of low gravity gasoline secured. Halted 8 to 8:10 A.M. at Van Wert, Ohio, by request of the city officials. G.M.C. Ambulance #39303 stopped, account dry front universal, caused, by cover working loose and. slipping back on shaft. Considerable inconvenience caused by road dust. No maintenance difficulties of importance. Convoy met and escorted thru Ft. Wayne to campsite in Lawton Park by Mayor S.W. Cutshall, Postmaster E.C. Miller, E. M. Bodine, Secretary Chamber of Commerce, Major Ryan, Army Recruiting Officer, and Reception Comm. Local Motor Service Corps and Red Cross delivered and served lunch. Meeting of enlisted personnel, conducted by Captains McMahon, Greany & Lt. Bissell, to discuss matters of operation, maintenance, records and general conduct. Fair and warm. Roads good, but dusty. Made 51 miles in 6 hours. Arrived Fort Wayne, Ind.,12; 30 P.M.

July 18. Departed Ft. Wayne, 6:30 A.M. Garford #39732 stopped 2 miles out account Rayfield carburetor with dirty needle value. 20 miles out, Garford #39734 halted account carburetor trouble. White truck #39022 halted to adjust front ball joint on left radius rod, 43 miles out. At 2:30 P.M. Cadillac Searchlight truck gets puncture in Goodrich Silvertown tire #823172912, mileage 70. At 77 miles White truck #39021 halted on account of dirt in carburetor. One Class B broke a valve spring during day. Dust caused considerable inconvenience. At 8 A.M. halted by request in Churubusco, Ind. for 10 min., while refreshments were served by local Red Cross Canteen " Service. Met and escorted thru South Bend by Major F. R. Carson, Chief of Policy Peter Kline, Fire Chief I. A. Serbell, Secretary Chamber of Commerce Jos. F. Kelley, Reception Comm, of prominent citizens, 3 Fire Companies and two bands, furnished by Chamber of Commerce and the Goodrich Co. Fair and warm. Roads generally good, few grades. Made 76 miles in 9 hours. Arrived South Bend, Ind., 3:30 P.M.

July 19. Departed South Bend, 6:15 A.M. 22 miles out 2-wheel kitchen trailer drops range and stack in the road, due to 4 bolts thru frame shearing off this job should be reinforced and riveted. At 48 mi. Riker #415009 stops with bad choke valve in carburetor, which closes at high, engine speed. Escorted into La Porte and Valparaiso by mayors and reception committees. At 11:30  A.M. stopped in Valparaiso, where lunch was served by Chamber of Commerce, assisted by the Red Cross Canteen Service. Here a railroad watchman named Miller was run down by a Dodge Light Delivery, and suffered a fractured collar-bone and abrasions of the head and knee. Garford blew out petcock on account poor material which broke through ball, west of Valparaiso. G.M.C. Ambulance #39304 ran off road and overturned in ditch on account careless driving. Ambulance recovered by Class B #414668. Frame kinked in several places. At 3 p.m. planking on small steel bridge gave way. Fair and warm, roads fair but dusty. Made 80 miles in 8¾  hours. Arrived Chicago Heights, Ill., 3 p.m.

July 20. Chicago Heights, Sunday rest period. Ordnance observer spent the night at the Chicago Automobile Club, as guest of the four-wheel Drive Auto Co. Had breakfast with Mr. R.M. Newbold at the Congress Hotel, followed by motor ride over Lake Shore Drive & thru Lincoln Park. Took Mr. Newbold out to camp to inspect Convoy, at noon. Class B trucks #47905, #47986, #48043 & #48047, Cadillac Touring Car #18852, and G.M.C. Ambulance #24212, to replace damaged Ambulance #39309, added to Convoy at this point. Sergt. l/c T. E. Wood, Jr. did a few demonstration stunts with the Militor for the instruction and entertainment of the camp visitors. Several movie weekly camera men "shot" this exhibition, and also groups of the officers. Citizens of town took most of the enlisted men to their homes for Sunday dinner. Goodyear Band is placed at disposal of the Expedition Commander for the remainder of the trip. All necessary adjustments made.

July 21. Departed Chicago Heights, 6:15 a.m. Class B truck #48043 had to be towed by Militor a short distance to loosen up stiff motor. Stopped 45 min. to repair fan belt on Class B. 12 mi. out. Dodge #110219 stopped to adjust dragging foot brake band, right side. At 14 mi. from Chicago Heights G.M.C. Ambulance #39303 stopped to clean dirty spark plugs. One Mack truck had trouble with magneto breaker points. Range & stack of second 2-wheel kitchen trailer drop off in street of Joliet, where Rotary Club & Red Cross Canteen Service served refreshments. At Plainfield, Garford #39733 breaks upper fan bracket support, allowing fan bracket to fall forward so that fan tore several holes in radiator when 2 mi. east of Aurora, Militor returned 10 mi. to pick up this Garford. Lunch served at Aurora by Red Cross Canteen Service. Mack #51487 has engine trouble all day. Class B #414673 water pump becomes stuck on account scale lodging under blade. Fair and warm. Roads fair, but very dusty. Made 82 miles in 10 ½  hrs. Arrived Dekalb, Ill. 5 p.m.

July 22. Departed DeKalb, 6:15 a.m. Militor started 7:15 a.m. towing Garford #39733. Mack #51481 had to stop at Creston on account motor overheating due to late spark and inefficient water pump. Near Ashton water pump on Class B #414673 again fails to function and motor runs hot. 12 mi. east of Dixon small bridge over culvert collapsed. Valve tappet roller goes to pieces in another Class B. 11:15 a.m. luncheon is served, by people of Dixon. 12:30 p.m. William Ernst, of Dixon Crucible Co. entertains officers at luncheon in the Elk’s Club, Sterling, Ill. 9 mi. west of Morrison. Mack truck towing pontoon trailer falls down under load on sandy grade, and had to go to top of hill first, later towing trailer up by means of long rope. Crossed Mississippi at 4:10 p.m. Riker #415009 turned turtle in ditch, but was righted and proceeded under own power. One motorcycle upset, causing slight damage to machine and slight injuries to driver. F.W.D. & Militor towed Class B's. Fair and warm. Roads fair, but very dusty. Made 90 mi. in 10 ¾ hrs. Arrived Clinton, Iowa 5 p.m.

July 23. Departed Clinton, 6:30 a.m. White Staff Observation Car #111506 delayed in starting on account oil pump plunger sticking. Class B #414795 stalled with oil-soaked magneto 6 mi. out. Class B spare parts truck #414668 taken in tow by Militor on account leaking cylinder head gasket would not pull on hills. This truck gave some trouble yesterday, but was not repaired in Clinton. Porcelain of one AC spark plug was broken. 3 mi. west of Lowden, Class B #80215 stopped to clean out gasoline line. Fender fell off 2-wheel kitchen. Starting crank pin breaks on one Class B and another has trouble with back-firing in carburetor. Trailmobile kitchen breaks right rear spring thru all leaves in center. Class B machine Shop truck #414319 went thru small culvert bridge and had to be jacked up and pulled out by Militor. Convoy escorted into Cedar Rapids by Lt. Gov. Moore, Mayor Rall, etc. Dinner served to entire command by C. of C. and Rotary Club. Made 87 miles in 10 ½ hrs. Fair and warm. Good hard dirt roads. Arrived Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 5 p.m.

July 24. Departed Cedar Rapids 6:30 a.m. Garford delayed by trouble with engine bearing. 4 ½ mi. west of Belle Blain, G.M.C. Ambulance #39303 halts on account two cylinders missing, due to broken porcelains in Champion spark plugs. 3 mi. west of Chelsea, Garford #39734 ran hot and it was found that fan belt was slipping, necessary adjustment being made. Also one magneto brush was not in contact with breaker. Mack #51481, with tractor load, runs hot boiling water out of radiator. Militor tows Class B five miles into Tama, where new right rear wheel was put on, because of a broken spoke, lunch served at Tama by Red Cross Canteen Service. Refreshments served by Knights of Columbus and dinner by Red Cross Canteen Service at Marshalltown, where we camped in Riverview Park. Quiet and uneventful day. Fair and warm. Good dirt roads, but very dusty. Made 75 miles in 9 ¼ hrs. Arrived Marshalltown, Iowa, 3:45 p.m.

July 25. Departed Marshalltown, 6:30 a.m. All storage batteries were tested & Garford came in from Cedar Rapids during the night. 5 miles out G.M.C. #39303 has more trouble with engine missing. At LaMoille fan belt on F.W.D. #415767 breaks and is repaired. One mile west of Ontario, Riker #415009 lost fan belt and new one was installed. At this point also Class B #80215 had trouble with loose fan belt, and Mack Machine Shop #5 stops to clean dirty gasoline strainer. Near Jordan F.W.D. #415766 stops to repair broken fan belt and clean out clogged gasoline strainer. Mack stalled on account plugged high speed nozzle in carburetor. Crossed one dangerous bridge. On Garford #39732 connecting rod cap bolts sheared off and dropped into bottom of crank case. Carburetor float level on Class B, towing kitchen trailer, too high and it would not pull on 4th speed. Level adjusted. At Boone R.C.C.S, served ice cream. Dinner at Jefferson Country Club. Fair and warmer. Good, but dusty dirt roads. Made 81 mi. in 10½ hrs. Arrived Jefferson, Iowa, 5 p.m.

July 26. Departed Jefferson, 6:30 a.m. Two cases of carburetor trouble shortly after leaving camp, traceable to excessive dust. 9:00 a.m. visited the home of Merle D. Hay, first soldier of the A.E.F. killed in action, Glidden, Iowa. At Carroll a fine lunch was served by Red Cross Canteen Service, 9:45 a.m. All Mack trucks had trouble with hot motors on account soft dirt on road surface and Mack pulling pontoon trailer had to be towed up a slight grade by Militor. For several days Class B #48043 has been pushing Mack Machine Shop #5 up all grades. Strong breeze across the roads reduced dust nuisance considerably. Camped in Washington Park, Denison, where town erected temporary shower bath. Refreshments and dancing at Court House Square in the evening. Largest crowd in history of Denison gathered to participate in welcome to Convoy personnel. Fair and warm. Good, but dusty, dirt roads. Made 68 mi. in 7½ hrs. Arrived Denison, Iowa, 2 p.m.

July 27. Denison, Sunday rest period. Meeting of officers for the discussion of various matters in connection with the expedition. Quarters and medical inspections of personnel were held. Crank case oil was changed in all trucks. Transmissions and differentials were thoroughly inspected. All vehicles were thoroughly greased and oiled. Governor of Militor was overhauled and spark plugs were removed, cleaned and replaced. Inventory and verification of registration data was made. Baseball game in afternoon Denison 15, Convoy l. Mr. Bement, Dr. Johnson and Lt. Col. McClure addressed citizens. Band concert at Court House in evening, also movies at the Opera House for the Convoy personnel. Mess of officers and enlisted men very unsatisfactory, and services of an experienced Mess Officer are badly needed, to keep up morale of the command.

July 28. Departed. Denison, 6:30 a.m. At 7:15 a.m. Garford #39732 stopped, on account engine missing badly, due to dirty spark plugs and too much oil. Also one exhaust valve was not seating and piston rings were not tight in cylinders 1, 2 and 3. The exhaust valve tappet adjustment screw was too long. At 8;15 a.m. Class B tanker #80214 stalled on account dirty high speed jet in Zenith Carburetor, which was cleaned out. At 9:15 a.m. Mack #51481, carrying tractor, ran hot again. Spark was advanced just a trifle. At 1:15 p.m. lunch was served at Missouri Valley by Red Cross Canteen Service. At 1:30 p/m Packard #36168 was struck by Mack Blacksmith Shop #4, breaking off right front hub cap, with odometer, and bending right steering arm, which was straightened at a nearby blacksmith shop and replaced. At. 3:25 p.m. Class B. #414668 stopped on account mixture too rich, spark plug gaps too wide and magneto short-circuited. Fair and warm. Dirt roads, heavy dust, made 72 mi. in 9 ¾ hrs. Arrived Council Bluffs, Iowa, 4:15 p.m.

July 29. Departed Council Bluffs, 7:30 a.m. Crossed Missouri River via Douglas Street Bridge into Omaha, Nebraska. At 8:15 Convoy paraded through the city, escorted by the Mayor, Reception Comm., a band and a truck load of uniformed War Camp Community Service Workers. Camped at Fort Omaha, where work was started on removal of Dixon Graphite lubricants, as per orders. A number of solid tires, which had become badly worn due to character of roads recently traversed, were changed, necessitating considerable work, but accomplished satisfactorily. Privileges of the beautiful new Omaha Athletic Club were extended to the officers. In the evening, a beautiful dinner was given by Mr. A. K. Stewart, of the Packard Motor Car Co., at the Athletic Club, to all officers of the Convoy and stationed at Ft. Omaha and some prominent citizens of the city. Excellent entertainment was provided during the dinner. Refreshments and dance for the enlisted men at Krug Park. By courtesy of Lt. Col. Wuest, C.O. Ft. Omaha, Ordnance Observer made balloon ascension. Fair and very warm. Excellent roads. Made 5 miles in 2 hrs. Arrived Omaha, Nebraska, 9:30 a.m.

July 30. Departed Omaha, 6:45 a.m. 6 mi. from Pt. Omaha Trailmobile kitchen lost rear wheel on account Bower roller bearing breaking up, due to outer race going to pieces. At 11 a.m. refreshments were served at Fremont. Here G.M.C. Ambulance #39303 could not be started until magneto brush was cleaned. Near Ames Garford #39734 bent steering drag link in heavy sand, and cover was lost from magneto breaker. 5 mi. west of Ames, Riker #415009 broke fan belt. At 1 p.m. luncheon was served at North Bend. Near Rogers, Dodge #26989 halted to clean dust out of Stewart Carburetor and Bosch Magneto. 3 mi. west of Rogers, 2-wheel kitchen trailer broke front frame extension. Garford #39734 blew out cylinder head gasket, spark plug and petcock, Refreshments were served at Schuyler by Red Cross Canteen Service. Pontoon trailer was left at Ft. Omaha, as it was causing strain on Mack truck which towed it. Mayor and Reception Comm, with band, escorted Convoy into Columbus where we camped in open field north of town. Entertained at dinner in the several hotels. Street dancing in evening. Fair and very warm. Good dirt roads, very dusty. Made 83 miles in 10¼ hrs. Arrived Columbus, Nebr. 5 p.m.

July 31. Departed Columbus, 6:30 a.m. 6 mi. out White #39020 stopped to clean out dirty carburetor high speed nozzle. Rain of last evening reduced dust nuisance to a minimum, and tended to produce more compact road surface. However, at places, soft spots were encountered which mired vehicles to hubs, requiring mechanical and manual efforts to remove them. Damaged floors of two bridges, broke through a drainage conduit and a wooden culvert bridge, which delayed progress about 45 min. Mayor and Reception Committee met and escorted Convoy through Grand Island, where we camped in an open field at the southeast corner of town. Officers entertained at dinner at the Elk's Club. Dance in evening for entire personnel. Camp attendance about 3,000 persons, who were addressed by Dr. Johnson and Lt. Col. McClure. Occasional showers and cool. Fair, sandy roads. Made 64 mi. in 9 ¾ hrs. Arrived Grand Island, Nebr. 4:15 p.m.

Aug. 1. Departed Grand Island, 6:30 a.m. 13 mi. west Class B #47986 runs off good, wide dirt road into ditch, 4’ deep, and buries itself in soft dirt over axles. Rope was made fast to front end of Class B and passed around winch of the Militor, which gave a wonderful exhibition of its power, at one time lifting its front wheels clear of the ground and at another pushing the sprag into the road bed to a depth of nearly 2', and then plowing up the road for several feet until the pull was released. Class B was recovered in two hours. At 1 p.m. lunch was served to the Convoy in Kearney by the Red Cross Canteen Service. Militor towed F.W.D. #415766 twelve miles into camp with #3 and #4 connecting rod bearings burned out on account driver speeding. Camped in Dawson County Fair Grounds, the finest camp site of the entire trip thus far. First half of journey completed. Cloudy and cool. Good dirt roads. Made 82 miles in 11 hrs. Arrived Lexington, Neb., 5:30 p.m.

Aug. 2. Departed Lexington, 6:15 a.m. in light rain. During night F.W.D. #415766 had #3 connecting rod bearing scraped in and a new bearing fitted to #4 connecting rod. At Cozad, entire Convoy stopped to attach non-skid chains. At 9:30 a.m. it was raining steadily and road was becoming very slippery. 4 mi. west of Cozad Class B #r47905 skidded off the road into shallow ditch and was pulled out by Class B #414673 at 10:30 a.m. Mack #51481 carrying tractor, went into ditch nearby and was recovered by Mack Blacksmith Shop #4. Militor rescued 4 Class B’s from the ditch. Later Militor skidded into the ditch and was buried almost to the frame in ’’gumbo” but was extricated by the crew without assistance in 2 hrs. 25 trucks skidded into the ditch during day. Very apparent all trucks should be equipped with chains for front wheels as well as rear. Two weak bridges reinforced before Convoy passed over. Rain and cool. Roads gumbo mud. Made 30 mi. in 10½ hrs. Arrived Gothenburg, Nebr. 5 p.m.

Aug. 3. Departed Gothenburg, 7:30 a.m. During morning tractor had all 12 engineers trucks to tow at once, and at another time towed 3 Macks, 1 Riker and 1 Class B for 2 or 3 miles. Also towed one Mack 7 miles into camp. With the exception of the Engineers’ trucks and the F.W.D.’s, the Militor towed every truck in the Convoy at least once during the day. At one time, 9 trucks chained together were unable to move under their own power, and the Militor pulled them through. Winch was used twice during the day, once to pull the Militor itself out of a deep ditch into which it slid sideways. Dodge #110228 had to have sand cleaned out of carburetor. Class B tanker blew out front cylinder head gasket. Several fan belts broke on F.W.D.’s. Dodge Light delivery truck burned out connecting rod bearing. Sand under Mack chains made them tighten up and sprung torsion rods. Cloudy and cool. Roads sandy, some quicksand. Made 34 mi. in 9¾ hrs. Arrived North Platte, Nebr. 5:15 p.m.

Aug. 4. North Platte, rest period. Forced to suspend movement for 24 hrs. and remain here, owing to many little mechanical adjustments which had become necessary through the heavy work of the trucks during the last two days. Convoy reorganized under the direction of Lt. Col. Sheppard, M.T.C. All vehicles thoroughly lubricated.

Aug. 5. Departed North Platte, 6:30 a.m. 9 mi. west Class B machine Shop #414319 sank in sandy road and was pulled out by 3 Class B’s. One mile beyond Class B #48043 sank in soft sand, both right wheels and differential being buried, after five unsuccessful attempts, this truck was finally rescued by the combined efforts of the Militor and the Tractor, the cargo having first been removed. All trucks, except the F.W. D.’s and some of the Class A trucks had to be pulled thru this 200 yd. stretch of quicksand. The Militor handled 16 trucks, the Tractor 10, and in 8 instances the combined efforts of both Militor and Tractor were required. Delay 7 hrs. 20 min. 5 small bridges were damaged during- day. Between Paxton and Roscoe 2 smaller sand holes were encountered, one on an up-grade, the F.W.D.’s and Militor only going through unassisted. Civilian automobile ran into Mack #51482, 8 mi. east of Ogallala. Fair and warm. Roads soft, sandy gumbo. Made 53 mi. in 16½ hrs. Arrived Ogallala, Nebr. 11 p.m.

Aug. 6. Departed Ogallala, 7:30 a.m. Class B #414672 started out with leaky radiator tube. 20 mi. west of Ogallala at 10:15 a.m. Mack #51481 got stuck on sandy hill. Riker #415011 attempted to tow Mack over the top but failed. Tractor was then unloaded and Macks #4, #5 and #51481 towed over three sand hills, Rikers towed each other. F.W.D.’s made it on 2nd speed, then towed Packard over the top, which, in turn, helped another Packard thru soft spot near top of grade. Then 5 or more trucks were chained together and negotiated the sand in that way. F.W.D. #415766 backed one Class B out of small sand hole at bottom of hill and then made this bad sandy hill in 2nd speed, towing 2-wheel kitchen trailer. A Class B truck tried this hill with another 2-wheel kitchen trailer, but failed to make it. Militor pulled 10 trucks thru this sand hole. Camped in open field east of Big Springs, where Red Cross Canteen Service furnished lemonade and cigarettes. Capt. Gurvine reported for duty as Mess Officer. Fair and warm. Fair sandy roads. Made 22 miles in 6 hrs. Arrived Big Springs, Nebr. 1:30 p.m.

Aug. 7. Departed Big Springs, 6:30 a.m. One mile from camp White Staff Observation Car #111506 had to stop on account engine missing badly, due to dirty spark plug. Otherwise no mechanical or road troubles until Class B #414673 had valve trouble 5 miles west of Dix Station and motor was found to be hot. Muffler was removed at this point. Just as this truck pulled into camp, the paulin burst into flames at the lower right front corner, believed to be due to lighted cigarette butt, carelessly tossed into body. There was no fire extinguisher on this truck, but Pyrenes from other commissary trucks were used to extinguish the flames. The paulin and some personal effects of the men were destroyed, but the cargo consisting of commissary stores, was’ saved. The body was slightly scorched. Personnel entertained at luncheon by Union Pacific and Commercial Hotels in Sidney. One truck damaged a sheet steel drain culvert. Convoy went into camp in Fair Grounds, southeast of Kimball. Good location and irrigation ditch passing thru furnished bathing water. Commercial Club gave dinner-dance for officers at the Wheat Growers Hotel. Fair and warm. Good gravel roads. Made 86 miles in 11 1/6 hrs. Arrived Kimball, Nebr. 5:40 p.m.

Aug. 8. Departed Kimball, 6:30 a.m. At Bushnell Macks #51481 and #51483 and Riker #415011 had some difficulty in negotiating soft sand under railroad bridge, but managed to pull themselves thru. Heavy rains during night had softened road in low places. Class B #414673 broke valve tappet roller. Entered Cheyenne in a driving rain of an hour’s duration, followed by clearing and much lower temperature, which made overcoats necessary to comfort. The effect of altitudes exceeding 6000’ very noticeable in connection with the starting and operation of motors. Convoy met at Hillsdale by Gov. Qarey, Brig. Gen. O’Neil, Mayor Stone and other officials. Escorted through Cheyenne by Troop G, 15th Cavalry and Cavalry Band to Frontier Park, where a rodeo was given for entertainment of personnel, including races for cowboys and cowgirls, roping, bulldogging, broncho busting, etc. Quartered at Ft. D. A. Russell, through courtesy of Brig. Gen. O'Neil, Post Comm. Baths, mess and quarters provided. Showers and cool. Good gravel roads. Made 66 miles in 11 hrs. Arrived Cheyenne, Wyo. 5:30 p.m.

Aug. 9. Departed Cheyenne, 7:45 a.m. Steering gear on Packard truck worked loose on steep grade but truck was stopped in time to prevent accident. A number of minor repairs were necessary. Lunched at Sherman Hill, from which point Pike’s Peak, 175 mi. southward, was plainly visible. Crossed the Continental Divide at 2 p.m. elevation 8,247’. 4 mi. west of this point Mack truck #51481, carrying Tractor, broke thru small bridge. Vehicle rescued and bridge repaired in 27 min. Camped in Fair Grounds, one mile east of town. Fair and cool. Fair gravel roads. Made 57 miles in 11 ½ hrs. Arrived Laramie Wyo. 7:20 p.m.

Aug. 10. Laramie, Sunday rest period. Medical inspection of personnel, also inspection of vehicles, quarters and personal equipment. Meeting of officers and one for sergeants. Made a number of minor repairs to both passenger cars and trucks. Transmission of Militor refilled with 3-12 cans of Dixon's #677, and rest of vehicle thoroughly greased with 3 of Dixon's #3. All bolts and nuts tightened up. Fair and cool, with rain and wind storm in the afternoon.

Aug. 11. Departed Laramie, 6;30 a.m. Day's run was across a plateau. At Rock River lunch was served to entire personnel by Red Cross Canteen Service. Encountered a wind, rain and hail storm here, and also light shower when entering campsite. High wind thru out the day. Bridges were generally poor, and 12 wooden bridges were reinforced by Engineers with lumber furnished by Wyoming State Highway Dept. Light, dry atmosphere and dust still causing some carburetor trouble, but there were no other mechanical difficulties. Camped on hillside south of Medicine Bow, soil dusty, sand and no water facilities. Citizens served barbeque to entire personnel at The Virginian Hotel, made famous by Owen Wister, Street dance and refreshments in evening. Unsettled and warm. Roads good gravel. Made 59 miles in 11¾ hrs. Arrived Medicine Bow, Wyo. 6:15 p.m.

Aug. 12. Departed Medicine Bow, 6:45 a.m. 4 mi. west one Class B tanker broke thru a culvert and was pulled out by another Class B tanker, 10 miles west of Medicine Bow road is surfaced with fine, loose cinders which are very soft, and Mack #4 sinks in. Portable corduroy road was laid and trucks pulled through all right. Road is on abandoned Union Pacific R.R. right-of-way, and very winding. Some dangerous trails at natural grades; in general very tedious going. Refreshments served to entire personnel at Fort Steele, otherwise territory of a most desolate character. 40 mi. gale, extremely dry atmosphere and intense sandy dust entailed considerable hardship. Twelve wooden bridges were reinforced and two entirely rebuilt by the Engineers, with lumber furnished by State Highway Dept. Lt. K. C. Downing crushed left index finger on bridge work. Camped in Fair Grounds northeast of Rawlins, on barren, dusty field. Fair and cool. Poor dirt roads. Made 62 miles in 12¾ hrs. Arrived Rawlins, Wyoming, 7:30 p.m.

Aug. 13. Departed Rawlins 6:15 a.m. 22 mi. west detour was made around dangerous bridge over dry creek bed. At Creston Station a Class B truck slipped off the road and was helped back by another Class B. Also Class B spare parts truck ran off road on abandoned Union Pacific R.R. grade and was rescued by Militor. Old right-of-way single track most of way and many high, dangerous fills and a number of deep sand areas and holes were encountered. Near Latham Station Class B water tanker #80216 ran off road on abandoned railroad grade and rolled over 270°, resting on left side. It was righted by 2 Class B’s, and proceeded under its own power in 20 min. No serious damage. Class B tank trucks appear to be somewhat top-heavy, and driver claimed that this truck was very hard to steer and almost impossible to keep on road. Trailmobile kitchen broke spring and bent axle. At Wamsutter, F.W.D. #415767 stopped to tighten up front universal joint and it was also found to have a broken radiator support stud. Two G.M.C.’s, Garford, Class B and Dodge had carburetor trouble. 3 mi. east of Tipton Station, Class B Machine Shop #414319 ran off road into soft sand hole and had to be towed out by Militor. Right wheels of Mack Blacksmith Shop #4 sheared thru 16-3"x 10” bridge floorplanks; and narrowly averted dropping into 12’ ravine. Bridge reinforced and truck rescued in 55 minutes. Six other bridges reinforced by Engineers and it seems that timber in this dry atmosphere loses its elasticity and becomes very brittle. Camped on Red Desert, on barren sandy plain, no inhabitants or buildings other than railroad personnel and property. Nearest natural water supply 16 miles. Fair and warm. Fair dirt roads. Made 58 miles in 10¾ hrs. Arrived Tipton Station, Wyo., 5 p.m.

Aug. 14. Departed Tipton Station, 6:30 a.m. Bad, sandy trail, very rough, with drop-offs over shelves of rock just below surface. 7 mi. west a bad sandy stretch was negotiated more easily by F.W.D. ’s than other makes. 9 ½ miles west Garford #39732 stopped to replace carburetor choked up with dust. 28 mi. west Packard #36168 halted to clean fouled spark plugs. At this point also one Trailmobile kitchen coupling broke pin, setting it free from F.W.D. #415767, narrowly- missing turning over. Control wire broke on Indian sidecar and it was loaded into Militor. several small bridges were repaired or reinforced during morning's run. At noon stopped for lunch at Point of hocks.’ Militor towed Dodge 5 mi. into Rock Springs, where it filled radiator and proceeded under its own power, after grinding valves. Militor cleaned out gasoline line. Reinforced 4 wooden bridges, rebuilt one culvert and detoured around 4 weak bridges. The intensely dry air, absence of trees and green vegetation, and parched appearance of the landscape exerted depressing influence on personnel. Fair and cool, poor dirt roads, except 15 miles. Made 76 miles in 13¾ hrs. Arrived Green River, Wyo., 8:15 p.m.

Aug. 15. Departed Green River, 6:30 a.m. White Staff Observation Car #111316 had trouble with emergency brake shoes on right rear wheel locking just 1 mi. west of Green River, and after many stops and adjustments finally threw the wheel and axle half and was left on the road under guard, being later loaded on one of the Class B trucks and hauled into camp. At Granger Junction a doubtful bridge about 60 feet long was successfully passed by using great care. 2 miles further on Mack #51481 carrying tractor, had right x rear wheel break through small wooden bridge over dry creek bed. Mack was pulled out by Tractor, after it had been unloaded, and rest of Convoy detoured around bridge, driving down through creek bottom with the aid of portable corduroy road. Delay one hour and lunch was served at this point. Near Lyman the same Mack had both rear wheels break through the planking of the steel Lincoln Highway bridge over the Black Fork of the Green River. Tractor was backed off and rear end of Mack jacked up until planks could be slipped under the wheels. Then Mack and Tractor were driven off and bridge was planked lengthwise with 3"x12"-s laid the width of truck tread apart, balance of Convoy then passing over. Engineers repaired the bridge. Tractor was reloaded on Mack and we moved on, after a delay of 2 ¾ hrs. A great many weak wooden bridges over culverts or dry creek beds were broken through during the day, causing much delay. Packard truck had carburetor trouble. Bivouacked on site of old Army post, in beautiful oasis. Fair and warm. Good dirt roads, except 6 miles. Made 63 miles in 17 hrs. Arrived Fort Bridger, Wyo. 11:30 pm.

Aug. 16. Departed Ft. Bridger, 7:30 a.m. Proceeded through canyons and average mountain scenery and negotiated about 8 miles of grades up to 12% over foot-hills. Excessive dust encountered in spite of light breeze. Engineers repaired or reinforced five bridges and three culverts, and rebuilt one culvert. Detoured one unsafe wooden truss bridge, necessitating vehicles descending and ascending very steep banks of dry creek. Class B trucks had trouble with dust accumulating in gasoline lines and carburetors, White Staff Observation Car 8c Dodge had magneto trouble on account dust. Indian motorcycle gear shift lever broke. A few miles east of Evanston, Class B Machine Shop #414319 broke a piston and was towed into camp by Militor. Camped in Fair Grounds. Fair and warm. Fair dirt roads. Made 35 miles in 7½ hrs. Arrived Evanston, Wyo. 3 p.m.

Aug. 17. Departed Evanston, 12:30 p.m. Militor towing Class B Machine Shop #414319 Traversed worst road in Utah entire distance through Echo Canyon on rough trail at natural grade, with many dangerous turns, deep cuts and cliffs on left of road, total decent of 1,000 feet. About 20 miles out Militor dropped Class B Machine Shop and returned 16 mi. to pull another Class B truck out of a culvert into which it had fallen. Militor then returned to Machine Shop truck, picked it up and continued for about 5 miles when darkness, poor headlights and a dangerous road made it imperative to stop for the night. One bridge squad working ahead, but no reports have come back as to work done. Dodge had carbon scraped and valves ground. Class B Machine Shop requires new cylinder block, piston, connecting rod and bearings. Unsettled and warm. Poor mountain roads; made 41 miles in 7 hrs. Arrived Echo, Utah, 7:30 p.m.

Aug. 18. Departed Echo, 6:30 a.m. At daybreak Militor continued into Echo, arriving at 9 a.m. No rations were sent back to crew of Militor, but mess was left at Echo for them. Militor departed Echo at 9:45 a.m. and overhauled Convoy at Morgan, where Female Relief Society of the Mormon Church served refreshments. Bishop Anderson of Mormon Church made address of welcome and presented Expeditionary Commander with two 4' keys gold, to Utah; and silver to Morgan. Massed school children with flags and band furnished music. 6 boxes famous Morgan canned peas presented to Convoy for mess. Militor towed Class B Machine Shop all day on many steep grades and sharp curves. One section of road on a sharp turn and steep fill had to be supported by timbers to prevent a slide. Considerable dust and no wind caused much inconvenience. White Staff Observation Car #111316 repaired and rolling. Mayor, Red Cross Motor Corps and Reception Comm, escorted Convoy into Ogden. Fair and warm. Good natural dirt roads. Made 52 miles in 8 hrs. Arrived Ogden, Utah, 4:30 p.m.

Aug. 19. Departed Ogden, 6:30 a.m. Militor still towing Class B Machine Shop #414319, ran into a soft spot in the road on a detour. The Class B broke through the surface crust and the Militor in trying to pull it out, also broke through and was buried in soft mud to a depth of about 4½ ’. About 3 hrs. were required to extricate the Militor. A steel cable was broken several times and when the retaining collar on a guide pulley was sheared off the pulley was thrown into the air with such force that it cut off a large limb of a tree. Planks were used, to build up a crib under Militor and it ran out under its own power. Planks were then laid for Class B to run on and it was pulled out with the Militor winch. Made radiator repairs to G.M.C. and Class B. Two motorcycles were overhauled, one requiring new wrist pin. No bridge difficulties. Cadillac #111157 broke fan spring and brake linings were renewed. Tires changed on trucks as follows: Packards 3, Macks 2, B’s 5, Cadillac 1. Convoy escorted into Salt Lake City by Reception Comm, and followed by parade of several hundred commercial trucks, with two bands and blowing whistles. Reviewed by governors of Utah and 18 other states. Large purple and white floral motor truck presented to Expeditionary Commander. Dinner dance at Hotel Utah Roof Garden. Fair and warm. Roads generally good. Made 73 miles in 8¼ hrs. Arrived Salt Lake City, Utah, 2:45 p.m.

Aug. 20. Departed Salt Lake City, 6:30 a.m. Class B Machine Shop #414319 remained behind to finish repairs to engine and realign front wheels. White truck to repair fan belt, and Mack to install new clutch. Militor remained with these trucks until they departed. Five miles west of Tooele, Militor had to stop on account broken radiator support stud, broken fan belt coupling, carburetor and governor . trouble and loose #4 connecting rod bearing. Repairs were halted on account darkness. Last 6 miles was natural desert trail of alkali dust and fine sand up to 2' deep, with numerous chuck holes. No rain for 18 weeks and traction exceedingly difficult. In places chasses of trucks grounded on road surface leaving wheels free, making jacking up and digging out necessary. Sage brush was cut from desert to fill in wheel ruts, as this was the only material available. Five Class B’s had trouble with petcocks, cylinder head gaskets, connecting rod bearings, valves and brakes. Another Mack clutch went bad. Lunch served to entire personnel at Tooele, by Ladies Aid Red Cross Relief Society no more food until 10:30 p.m. Fair and warm. 60 miles excellent roads. Made 52 miles in 17 hours. Arrived Orr’s Ranch, Utah, 10:30 p.m.

Aug. 21. Departed Orr’s Ranch, 6:15 a.m. Expeditionary Commander ordered Militor to return from Tooele to Salt Lake City, there to be shipped forward by freight to Eureka, Nev. to rejoin Convoy, despite the fact that radiator support stud and fan belt had been repaired, carburetor and governor already replaced, and only repairs to #4 connecting rod bearing remained to be made. This action entirely unwarranted. From this point west across the Great Salt Lake Desert the Convoy followed the route of the new Seiberling Cut-off. Road and dust conditions approaching the Desert similar to those encountered during yesterday's run 10 miles from start a sand drift was encountered, removal of which delayed progress one hour. First portion of Seiberling Cut-off under construction and impassable. Detour necessary on salt marsh with thin, hard crust of sand and crystallised alkali. Practically every vehicle was mired and rescue work required almost superhuman efforts of entire personnel from 2 p.m. until after midnight. Emergency control established in road construction camp at Black Point, on western edge of the desert. Fair and hot. natural desert trails. Made 15 miles in 7¾ hrs. Arrived Granite Rock, Utah, 2 p.m.

Aug. 22. Departed Granite Rock, 6:30 a.m. Kitchen unit of 7 trucks arrived at Black Point, 3:30 a.m. and Co. E arrived at 8 a.m. Unexpected delay on desert caused serious situation regarding water and gasoline. Tanks were placed under guard and water ration limited to one cup for supper and overnight. Stalling of fuel truck prevented a cooked dinner. Supper consisted of cold baked beans and hard bread, mere existence being chief concern. Impossible to distribute baggage and personnel obliged to sleep wherever they could. Gasoline tanker sent ahead to Gold Hill, 35 miles from Granite Rock and returned. Two tanks of water hauled by horse team from Gold Hill, 12 mi., to Black Point relieved water famine, Mr. Walker Paul, Supt. Road Construction, Utah State Highway Comm., hauled the water and exerted every effort at his command to assist in relief necessary. Personnel utterly exhausted by tremendous efforts, and will rest at Black Point. Trailmobile kitchens broke rear wheel bearing, spring hanger and drawbar. Two Indian side car motorcycles were unable to negotiate deep dust and were loaded on trucks. Two Garfords broke connecting rods and cracked crank cases one cracked cylinder block also. Class B’s had some trouble with valve springs, brakes and fan assembly. Reduced morale. Fair and very hot. Hard desert trail. Made 36 miles in 7½ hrs. Arrived Black Point, Utah, 2 p.m.

Aug. 23. Departed Black Point, 6:30 a.m. Necessary for Service Park Unit to follow later on account repairs to two Garford crank cases and connecting rods. One Garford had hole punched in crank case on account connecting rod cap working loose, and the other Garford (#39732) had upper end of connecting rod crack through eye for wrist pin, resulting in piston being forced upward through top of cylinder block. Damage beyond repair by facilities at hand, so this Garford, #39732 was shipped from Gold Hill to M.T.O., Ft. Douglass, for retirement. Reinforced one bridge. White Staff Observation Car had generator trouble. Class B broke valve tappet roller, and another broke valve spring. Dodge Light Delivery had wheel work loose. Class B had carburetor trouble on account dust. Due to one Class B Spare Parts truck turning over and various lesser mechanical troubles, Service Park Unit #595 only reached Tippet’s Ranch, 21 mi. east of Anderson’s, at midnight and camped there. Fair and warm.' Roads fair. Made 51 miles in 13½ hrs. Arrived Anderson’s Ranch, Nev. 8 p.m.

Aug. 24. Departed Anderson's Ranch, 6:30 a.m. First 8 mi. of run through Shellbourne Pass, over 1200’ crest. Roads very narrow and continuous sequence of U and S turns at very steep grades, with nearly vertical, unprotected fills dropping off hundreds of feet. That this pass was successfully negotiated without accident considered remarkable. F.W.D. trucks made best showing. Sunday rest period abandoned on account being behind schedule. Roads good natural gravel, mountain and desert trails, with several short stretches of deep ruts and chuck holes filled with dust. Passed through famous copper mining town of McGill. Camped on municipal camp grounds for tourists, adjacent to camp of itinerant Shoshone Indians , who visited camp all afternoon showing keen interest in equipment. G.M. C. Ambulance had bearing in left front wheel break down. Trail-mobile kitchen broke two springs. Class B had valve trouble. White developed bad leak in exhaust manifold. Several tires changed here and crank case oil changed in all trucks. Fair and hot. Roads generally natural sandy soil. Made 77 mi. in 8 hrs. Arrived Ely, Nev. 2:50 p.m.

Aug. 25. Departed Ely, 6:30 a.m. Medieval Corps Ambulance Trailer had ball bearing in wheel break up. Dodge Light Delivery #26991 had carburetor trouble on account dust working into sliding member. One Class B broke fan belt and another broke a valve. Noon stop for chow at Mooreman's Ranch. Took the road again at 1:15 p.m. leaving Cadillac #111157 behind to repair saturated float in Carburetor. Class B Machine Shop #414319 had complete base separation of Goodyear giant tire on right rear wheel. Class B Spare Parts truck #414683 also developed partial base separation of outer half of Goodyear dual tire on right rear wheel. Mack #4 had spring bolt shear off permitting front axle to shift slightly. Clutch bearing on Class B Machine Shop #414319 ran hot on account grease line plugged up. S.P.U. #595 which remained in rear to change broken valve, bad tire, etc. did not reach camp until 4 am. Heavy grades and deep alkali dust. Fair and warm. Poor gravel roads; Made 46 miles in 15½ hrs. Arrived Pinto House, Nev. 10 p.m.

Aug. 26. Departed Pinto House, 7:15 a.m. Halted 1/2 hr. in Eureka. Militor not there, diverted to Carson City. Dodge #26991 had more trouble on account dirt in sliding member of Stewart Carburetor. It was also found that the two breaker points of Simms Magneto were missing and adjustment was made so that motor could run without them. The oil line became plugged, up on White Staff Observation Car #111506. One Mack chain roller was broken. One Class B broke valve tappet roller and another had stoppage in the gasoline line. Trailmobile kitchen broke a spring. Narrow mountain and desert trails at natural grades, with uneven and rutted surface. About 5 mi. across alkali flats with dust filled ruts and chuck holes 1½ ’ deep, necessitating slow and tedious going. Remarkable that all equipment remains serviceable with abuse given. Route and camp in mountainous country of most desolate character. Fair and warm. Poor gravel roads. Made 44 miles in 8¾ hrs. Arrived Willow Spring, Nevada, 4 p.m.

Aug. 27. Departed "Willow Spring, 6:30 a.m. Class B #414676 remained behind to have new valve tappet and roller installed. Class B #414683 broke fan belt, and other B’s had gear shift finger break, stoppage in gasoline line and broken throttle rod. Two Dodges had carburetor trouble. Trailmobile kitchen overturned on very steep grade, was wrecked and retired from service. F.W.D. #415766 burned out a connecting rod bearing when coasting down steep grade entering Austin. In engine of Riker #415011 all set screws on wrist pins had dropped out and one piston which had broken through oil groove was replaced. The cylinders were not badly scored. Fair and warm. Roads generally fair. Made 60 miles in 8 hrs. Arrived Austin, Nev. 2:30 p.m.

Aug. 28. Departed Austin, 6:30 a.m. White Staff Observation Car #111506 remained behind to tighten up flanges on left rear wheel and clean out oil feed lines. Also Class B Machine Shop #414319 waited to repair clutch collar thrust bearing in which the balls were badly worn due to lack of lubrication. New ball bearing was installed. Wrecked Trailmobile kitchen shipped back to Washington. Second Trailmobile kitchen broke a wheel and was loaded on truck. Dust caused trouble with magneto of one G.M.C. and gasoline line of another. Two Class B trucks skidded off road in canyon, but were rescued without damage and Class B Spare Parts truck was stuck in the sand. Usual mountain and desert trails. Fair and warm. Fair natural gravel roads. Made 80 mi. in 12½ hrs. Arrived Eastgate, Nevada, 7 p.m.

Aug. 29. Departed Eastgate, 6:15 a.m. One Class B truck halted to clean spark plugs and another had broken fan belt about one mile out of camp. Riker #415009 sank in sand hole and was helped out by a Class B truck, Mack truck has clutch assembly break down entirely. Garford also has clutch trouble. Noon "chow” at Frenchman’s Station near enormous sand dune, 380 feet high. Three wheels changed on Class B trucks on account drying out. Conditions crossing Carson Sink similar to those on Great Salt Lake Desert, altho Fallon Fill was passable, but very rough and dusty. In camp S.P.U. repaired leaks in two Class B radiators and new clutch, clutch collar and bearing were installed in Mack truck. Fair and hot. Fair sandy roads. Made 66 miles in 9¾ hrs. Arrived Fallon, Nevada, 4 p.m.

Aug. 30. Departed Fallon, 6:30 a.m. Followed direct road to Carson City, via the Lahontan Dam. Heavy trucks had some difficulty in getting through soft sand holes about 2 miles west of camp. Five or more trucks were chained together and men not driving helped by pushing. Delay 1/2 hr. White Reconnaissance Car #111505 had to replace spark plug on account broken porcelain. Required 11 hrs. to move Convoy from Fallon to a point 12 mi. west, on account several stretches of unstable, dry sand up to 1½ feet deep and wet quicksand. All heavy vehicles, including Cadillacs had to be pulled and pushed through by combined efforts of Tractor and meh, over wheel paths made of sage brush. Two Class B tankers sank to a depth of 5’ in sand, requiring extensive excavation and construction of false work of railroad ties to aid. Tractor in rescue. Dodge Light Delivery #26991 broke generator drive chain, damaging oil pump drive. One small bridge broke down. Convoy met by Gov. Boyle, etc. Chicken dinner. Co. E. arrived 11 p.m. Fair and warm. Poor gravel roads. Made 66 miles in 20 hrs. Arrived Carson City, Nevada, 2:30 a.m. (31st)

Aug. 31. Carson City, Sunday rest period. Tractor towing Mack with bad clutch, arrived 11:30 a.m. after resting on road until daylight. Inspected and adjusted equipment. Changed several tires, pressing done at Reno. Transportation provided and personnel taken to Hot Springs for bathing. Union religious services held at camp on Capitol grounds, at which Gov. Boyle made address of welcome. At officers’ meeting instructions were given relative to operation precautions to be taken on King’s Grade climb tomorrow. Fair and warm.

Sept. 1. Departed Carson City 6:30 a.m. Convoy arranged with heaviest vehicles in lead. Temporary control established at base of King’s Grade for inspection of steering gears, brakes, tow chains and wheel blocks, also for spacing vehicles 100 yds. apart. Full supply of gasoline oil and water verified. Experienced drivers only allowed to drive and one man on each vehicle stood ready to block the wheels at each halt. All passengers required to be on the alert for any emergency. Nevada State Highway Dept. suspended all eastbound traffic from 6:30 a.m. until after Convoy had crossed the Sierras. Motorcycle riders required to maintain vehicle spacings and inspect bearings every 4 minutes. Reached altitude of 7630' at summit, over narrow, winding road of sand and broken stone, cut out of, and, in places, built up on mountain side. Total climb 14 mi. made in 6 hrs. slow progress being necessary to prevent accident. Grades 8% to 14%. Crossing Sierras without accident may be considered noteworthy achievement for heavy vehicles. Class B broke fan belt. One Trailmobile kitchen overturned and was wrecked, and was shipped to San Francisco. Mack broke connecting rod, pushing piston through top of the cylinder and cracking crank case, near Glenbrook, where noon "chow" was served, and was left there to make emergency repair by cutting, out damaged cylinder, piston being welded and cemented in place. At California- Nevada line the War Camp Community Service and Mayor's Comm, of San Francisco gave fine barbeque and enthusiastic welcome. Mr. Celio, owner of Meyer's Ranch, served refreshments in evening around huge camp fire, while the Firestone representatives furnished movies and smokes. Scenery throughout day of greatest beauty, especially at Lake Tahoe. Fair and cool. Fair gravel roads. Made 34 miles in 13½ hrs. Arrived Meyers, California, 8 p.m.

Sept. 2. Departed Meyers, 6:30 a.m. Temperature 30°F. early in morning. Tractor & Mack with damaged engine, working on 3 cylinders, came in during night. Then Tractor towed this Mack up 12% to 15% grade 3.2 mi. to Sierra Nevada Summit, from which point the remainder' of the route is down grade through the beautiful American River Canyon. Class B blew out cylinder head gasket and another sheared off rivets on 1st speed gear. F.W.D. #415766 adjusted brakes and burned out connecting rod bearing. Fair and warm. Graded dirt roads. Made 50 miles in 11¾ hrs. Arrived Placerville, California, 6:15 p.m.

Sept. 3. Departed Placerville, 6:30 a.m. Entire route downgrade over bitumen surfaced concrete roads lined with palm trees, through peach, almond, orange, and olive ranches, and vineyards. Populace showered Convoy with fruits. Entered Sacramento leading parade of motor trucks. Camped in State Fair Grounds with fair in progress. Dinner and cabaret to entire personnel by courtesy of Mr. John N. Willys, at the salesroom of the Willys-Overland Co. Dances for both officers and enlisted men. Mack put in new cylinder block, connecting rod, piston, etc. Fair and warm. Perfect roads. Made 52 miles in 8 hours. Arrived Sacramento, Calif. 2:30 p.m.

Sept. 4. Departed Sacramento, 6:15 a.m. Route through most productive fruit ranches and vineyards in the world. Passage over unsafe wooden bridge required extreme care to prevent breaking through. G.M.C. had carburetor trouble. Transmission in Class B gave more trouble. White connecting rod bearing worked loose. Cadillac timing chain stretched badly, and connecting rod "bearing began to knock. Escorted into and through Stockton by Mayor, Red Cross W.C.C.S., Reception Comm, and commercial truck parade. Populace called out by fire whistle. Camped in Oak Park. Personnel tired out by continuous, strenuous efforts of past several weeks, but morale is high at immediate prospect of attaining final objective. Dinner and dance at Hotel Stockton. Fair and warm. Fine concrete roads. Made 48 miles in 7¾ hrs. Arrived in Stockton, Calif. 2 p.m.

Sept. 5. Departed Stockton, 6:15 a.m. All vehicles in the Convoy were weighed. Drove over best section of entire Lincoln Highway. 2 Rikers and Packard broke fan belts. Class B trucks had broken spark plug porcelain, broken fan belt and brakes required adjustment. Indian motorcycle broke control wire. New clothing issued to men preparatory to final parade in San Francisco. Convoy met 10 miles east of Oakland by city officials, Reception Comm., W.C.C.S., Fire Dept, and parade of civilian cars and trucks. Escorted through Court of Honor and flag-festooned streets, while all whistles around Bay were blowing. Elaborate electrical and fireworks display. Dinner, Hotel Oakland. Dance, Municipal Auditorium. Fair and warm. Unexcelled roads. Made 76 miles in 9¾ hrs. Arrived Oakland, Calif. 4 p.m.

Sept. 6. Departed Oakland, 8:30 a.m. Convoy crossed San Francisco Bay on two ferry boats, and immediately paraded through the city to Lincoln Park. "The end of the Trail”, where medals were presented to entire personnel by the Lincoln Highway Assn.,’ and Convoy was formally received by Col. R. H. Noble, representing Lt. Gen. Hunter Liggett, Commanding General, Western Dept., and Mayor James Rolph, Jr., Milestone marking western terminus of Lincoln Highway dedicated. Red Cross Canteen Service served lunch. Convoy parked at the Presidio. Fair and warm. Paved city streets. Made 8 miles in 3 hrs. Arrived San Francisco, Cal., 11:30 a.m.

Transcontinental Motor Convoy Report by Col. William T. Carpenter – 1920
Divided Paths: Urban Renewal and the Legacy of the Interstates
The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, commonly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act
Image Gallery – After Ike Documentary
Aerial Image Gallery – After Ike Documentary
Firestone Film – 1919
Contributors to After Ike